Hot plates also go by the name of ready-to-use stoves that one can use anywhere. These indeed make it easier to prepare different dishes at a place where using a stove does not really make that much sense. Yes, we are talking about camping trips and picnics.
Nonetheless, getting one of these is not the end of the story. If you do not know how to use a hot plate for cooking, it will surely be impossible to get the most out of the device. In fact, you might end up with burnt dishes — causing accidents.
But as you have stumbled on this article, you will not have to worry about those issues anymore. We are going to provide the easiest guide and let you know all the things that you need to know about using an electric hot plate for cooking.
Are Hot Plates Safe?
Hot plates are electrical devices that will rely on electricity to produce heat. That means these cooking devices will be safe to use if you know what you are doing. You must handle them with extra care.
So, before you use the device for the first time, ensure that you have gone through the instruction manual. It will provide all the information regarding the things you can and can not do. And we would highly suggest not trying the things that the manufacturer warns against because you will risk causing a serious accident.
How to Cook on a Hot Plate
- Set the Device Up. First and foremost, you need to place the heat-resistant pan on top of the device. But before doing that, ensure that the lower bottom of the pan is dry. If you need to add cooking oil or spray oil, put it before putting the pan on the device.
- Turn the Device on.Once the device is set up, you would need to turn it on. For that, plug the cord into a power outlet. Press the power switch and adjust the temperature knob. Here, you would be adjusting to the medium level. Ensure that you are not placing the plate on the top for a long time without keeping a pan on the top.
- Add the Ingredients.Now that the cooking surface is preheated to the right level, start adding the ingredients if you are cooking. And if you are reheating an already cooked dish, it would be time to put the food on the top slowly. You can adjust the temperature as required while handling the food.
- Remove the pan once you are finished!After the dish is done or the food is heated up to the right amount, turn the device off. Then, remove the pan from the plate and unplug the power cord. Leave the device in the place for a while to let the whole thing cool down.
While using the hot plate, you need to be a little cautious as it is not just a type of gas burner. Keep these things in your mind:
- Wear protective gloves while handling the hot pan.
- Try avoiding metal pans on the hot plate because they can damage the surface or cause accidents.
- Always make sure that the lower surface is dry before placing the pan on top of the plate.
- Do not put anything that is not heat-resistant on the top.
- Keep the device away from flammable objects.
- If you notice any cracks on the surface, do not use it without getting it repaired.
- Monitor the temperature according to the food you are preparing.
- Do not just move the hot plate after using it. Let it cool down for a while, and then store it safely.
How to Clean a Hot Plate?
You need to keep the hot plate clean if you want it to function optimally for a long amount of time. And the maintenance process is pretty simple for these.
All you need to do is clean the food residues from the surface after each use. However, do ensure you are carrying out the cleaning steps after the device has cooled off.
Now, you might be wondering what cleaning solution you should use to clean the hot plate. Well, regular glass cleaners are going to work like a charm.
Just spray them on the top and let the solution stay for about 30 minutes. After that, use a soft towel or scrubber to wipe off the liquid.
On that note, without carrying proper maintenance on the device, rusts might form on the top. And when that happens, sprinkle some bicarb on the plate. Spray vinegar on the top and let the whole thing stay for a while. Then use a scrubber to scrub the entire surface properly.
Once you get all of the rust out, rise the plate properly. However, do ensure that you are using water to clean the plate when the device is turned on. That will increase the chances of the internal components getting damaged.
After going through this article, we hope that it is clear to you that learning how to use a hot plate for cooking is not a hard task at all.
These versatile cooking devices are pretty easy to use, and there will be no need to have safety concerns if you follow the process properly.
Next, learn all you need to know on how to use carbon steel pans for cooking at home!