Korean strawberry milk is a deliciously sweet drink that you can have at any time. Below, we will share a super simple recipe and give you all the details on this tasty beverage. It only takes 5 minutes to make. But you'll probably finish it even faster!
After testing recipe after recipe, we've determined that this one is the best. So, we're sure you'll love it, too!
- What is Korean Strawberry Milk?
- Korean vs Japanese Strawberry Milk
- Korean Strawberry Milk Calories
- Korean Strawberry Milk Ingredients
- Additional toppings
- Great Items to Pair It With
- Is It Healthy?
- Other Recipes to Try
- Where You Can Buy It
- Korean Strawberry Milk Recipe
What is Korean Strawberry Milk?
Korean strawberry milk is a drink made with strawberries and milk. It's creamy, chunky and beautiful to look at. As a result, it's so refreshing. It's one of the loveliest drinks to enjoy on a hot summer's day!
Per its name, this refreshing drink hails from Korea. However, its other origins are not widely known.
This drink has been popular in Korea for a long time. But, thanks to Korean strawberry milk binggrae, it has gained popularity, notably on TikTok.
Now, videos featuring recipes and people tasting the drink have gone viral, enticing others to try it.
This drink gained popularity not only because it's delicious. It also has distinct features. It has fresh strawberries right inside, giving it a delightful texture. Also, it has a lovely purée that is sweet and silky. All this makes it taste like a dream!
Korean vs Japanese Strawberry Milk
There's no difference between Korean and Japanese strawberry milk other than their names. Sometimes they are referred to as the other. So if someone offers you either option, make sure you take it. You'll taste the same delicious drink!
Additionally, another name for the popular beverage is a strawberry latte. The Japanese commonly call it ‘strawberry au lait’ (いちごオレ). But, again, the name is the only difference between the two.
Korean strawberry milk tastes sweet and creamy. It is rich with a thick texture, and its sweetness can change depending on the amount of sugar you use.
Plus, its sweetness can also vary depending on the ripeness of your strawberries. Unripe strawberries will make the drink a little tart. Ripe strawberries will give it a sweeter flavour.
Korean Strawberry Milk Calories
Korean strawberry milk has about 250-300 calories per serving. Although it only has a few ingredients, it can be high in calories if a larger portion of sugar and milk is used.
Korean Strawberry Milk Ingredients
There are only three ingredients in this drink:
- Strawberries - You can buy strawberries at any grocery store or grow your own. However, strawberries are in season at different times around the world. Therefore, check with your local grocer before buying to select the freshest strawberries possible.
- Sugar - Our recipe uses granulated sugar. But whatever brand of sugar you have in your pantry will work.
- Milk - You can use any type you want for our recipe. However, make sure it is fresh.
These ingredients aren't complicated. But you can substitute them to make Korean strawberry milk:
- Strawberries - You don't have to use fresh strawberries. If you only have frozen, use those. Any kind of strawberry will work.
- Sugar - Sugar in this recipe is just a sweetener, so use whatever kind you prefer. As you aren't heating or mixing it to change its molecular structure, the type of sugar you use doesn't matter. Other options are a sugar substitute like Splenda or Stevia. Or, you could use brown sugar if you'd like. The only sugar to avoid is powdered sugar. It won't work to make a purée as the texture would change. Plus, it wouldn't taste as good.
- Milk - The great news is you can make this recipe vegan! You can use any plant-based variety you'd like. Oat and coconut are delicious options, but almond and soy work just as well.
You can top Korean strawberry milk with chopped strawberries or whipped cream. But the sky's the limit when it comes to other drink toppings! Here are some of our other favourites:
- Caramel - This incredible drink is similar to a milkshake. So, it's only fitting that you top it with classic toppings! We love caramel because it brings a new depth of flavour and even more richness.
- Chocolate - Chocolate is another classic milkshake flavour and a topping that will tickle your taste buds delightfully. Plus, you can't go wrong with chocolate and strawberries, and that theory holds up when you add it to Korean strawberry milk.
- Whole strawberries - You can always add whole strawberries instead of chopped ones. Or you could even have them alongside the chopped strawberries! You can set them right in the drink or slice them to garnish the rim of your glass.
- Ice cream - If you're really in the mood for a milkshake, you can make this into one by adding ice cream on top. Although it won't be shaken and stirred the same way, you'll still get all the wonderful components. With the addition of ice cream, think of Korean strawberry milk as a deconstructed milkshake for a unique take.
Great Items to Pair It With
We totally get it if you want to indulge in this delicious beverage on its own. But if you're looking for something to pair it with, we've got you covered:
- Korean sweet pancakes - If you associate this drink with breakfast, make this in the morning and pair it with these sweet pancakes. These sweet and crunchy cakes are the perfect accompaniment to your Korean strawberry milk drink.
- Korean doughnuts - Have a Korean doughnut for an afternoon pick-me-up with your drink. These fried and twisted delights are a filling, sweet treat that will bring your mouth ecstasy when you taste the combination.
- Sweet rice mini bundt cakes - These are usually a dessert that's not quite so rich, making them perfect to have with this drink. Together they make the perfect combination that you won't get enough of.
Is It Healthy?
Homemade Korean strawberry milk is pretty healthy. But, of course, we all know that food and drinks we make at home are generally healthier than store-bought. And so are those with fewer ingredients!
This beverage is homemade and only has a few ingredients. And most of the ingredients are healthy. Although it contains sugar, you still get nutrients from milk and strawberries. So in moderation, you won't have to feel bad about indulging.
If you are worried about its nutritional value, you can always make it healthier by using a sugar substitute. You could also cut down the amount of sugar or remove it altogether. You could even make it plant-based, as noted before.
Our Korean strawberry milk recipe is easy to adapt to meet nutritional and dietary needs and preferences. Just another reason to love it!
Other Recipes to Try
If you love this recipe, you're in luck! We have tons of others that you'll go just as crazy for. Here are some to try:
- Strawberry milk tea - This tasty beverage is akin to Korean strawberry milk but includes tea and boba pearls. But it's just as delicious and refreshing!
- Korean egg bread recipe - Korean egg bread is a lovely breakfast option that packs protein and flavour into a little bun. It's perfect for a portable breakfast and will have you begging for more.
- Korean cheese corn - Korean cheese corn is a savoury side that you can make in the microwave. It's so cheesy and so tasty. We promise you'll love it!
Where You Can Buy It
You can buy a Korean strawberry milk box online. Though this is an easy recipe to make, you might not want to make the drink yourself. Binggrae is a popular brand, and they even have other flavours available.
While widely available at cafés in Korea, it's not easy to find in other parts of the world like the United States.
Though, we highly recommend making this drink at home. It's easy, flavoursome, and will make you feel like a real drink connoisseur when you finish making it.
Korean Strawberry Milk Recipe
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- Purée one and a half cups of strawberries using your favourite method.
- Stir sugar into the strawberry purée until well combined.
- Pour the strawberry purée and milk over ice in a glass.
- Top with the remaining strawberries or add whipped cream on top. Serve and enjoy your Korean strawberry milk ice-cool!
- You can purée the strawberries using a masher or a fork and a fine-mesh sieve. But a standard blender, an immersion blender or a food processor works well too. Any method is viable as long as it works well for you.
- Also, if you prefer a less gritty texture, you can boil the purée and sugar to mix it more thoroughly.
Calories have been calculated using an online calculator. Nutritional information offered on Honest Food Talks is for general information purposes and are only rough estimations.
Veggie Anh on Youtube has a quick video recipe showing how to make the awesome drink using fresh fruits! We recommend having a watch of her video to learn how she made the Korean strawberry milk.
If you love discovering new Asian drink recipes, follow us on Instagram @honestfoodtalks for more delicious recipes!