Korean corn cheese is the perfect cheesy and corny dish that you will fall for. This creamy casserole is perfect for parties and is really comforting to soothe you up after a long day. But the best part is that you do not need a lot to make it.
South Korea is famous for its yummy side dishes such as Korean marinated eggs, musaengchae, fried chicken and stir-fried glass noodles. Moreover, it is a haven for cheese-lovers with all kinds of cheesy dishes, including cheesy rabokki. So if you enjoy Korean food or simply like cheese, this is another Korean food invention you shouldn't sleep on!
What is it?
Korean corn cheese is made with corn, mayonnaise, and cheese. It is a very-much loved appetizer or side dish in Korea. Most people will enjoy it as a snack. However, it is also filling enough to be eaten as a main dish.
This snack is a minimalistic dish that gives off maximum comfort through its taste with only three ingredients. Maybe the ability to offer so much with its simplicity makes it unique and special.
Many frequently enjoy this flavourful dish with some freshly grilled meat. Therefore, it is something that many Korean BBQ restaurants would serve before bringing out the main dishes. So, if you have been to Korean restaurants or bars, you might have tasted this delicious gooey appetizer.
This Korean corn cheese recipe is highly child-friendly, but it also pairs well with alcohol. Due to that, it also earns popularity as drinking food among Koreans who often enjoy it with Soju and beer. Besides being a yummy dish on its own, it also works fantastically as a dipping for chips and bread.
Not sure whether you want your appetizer to be sweet or savoury? This casserole will give you the best of both worlds. It is sweet, savoury, and gives off a similar experience to eating creamed corn with cheese (but even better). And if all that isn't enough, it also smells so good that it will surely increase your appetite.
Korean corn cheese has approximately 320 calories per serving. Compared to other Korean snacks it is not high in calories. With each serving containing less than 500 calories, you can enjoy this snack without guilt-tripping yourself!
Interestingly, this sweet and savoury food does not only work well as a side dish. You can also incorporate it in tons of other recipes and unleash your culinary creativity with it.
Instead of going for plain ramen, you can upgrade your bowl of noodles by making Korean corn cheese ramen. It is worth trying, and even Korean brands sell instant versions of it. They taste pretty good, but nothing beats a dish made fresh from scratch. Therefore, we recommend making one on your own since it is super quick and easy to make.
Another fun way to enjoy this sweet snack is by making it a pizza topping. So, corn-lovers, this is your time to shine. It might spark another pizza topping debate, but this unique dish is so good, it will turn haters into lovers. In fact, it is an actual menu in many Korean pizza places!
Other than that, you can also make it as a corn dog topping. The street food is also famous for its many variations. One popular variation is Korean corn cheese dogs. The idea of crunchy breadcrumbs combined with the burst of flavours from the mozzarella and sweet corn… Mmm, so delicious!
Korean corn cheese is such a minimally demanding dish. The recipe requires very few ingredients, and you can even customize it to your liking. To make the Korean food, you will only need:
You can either use fresh, canned, or frozen ones. If you are making it in summer, this is the perfect reason to get yourself some fresh corn! When using frozen ones, be sure to thaw them and drain excess water before proceeding with the recipe.
You can make Korean food more authentic by using Korean mayonnaise. This particular ingredient is readily available at most Asian supermarkets. If you can't find Korean mayonnaise, you can use Kewpie mayonnaise or regular mayonnaise for the recipe.
Many prepare the Korean corn cheese recipe using mozzarella cheese for the stretchy consistency. However, you can add other types of cheese to make this appetizer. Other than mozzarella, you can use mild-flavoured melting cheese such as fontina and gouda for best results.
Although it is not necessary, a little bit of sugar will further enhance the natural sweetness of the corn. It will also balance out the creaminess and saltiness of the appetizer. However, you can omit sugar when using canned corn.
They are usually sprinkled over the casserole as toppings. You can also top it with some chives. You can add other substitutes or additional ingredients to make your snack tastier for you.
Salt and pepper
Understandably, there are some who either can't eat mayonnaise or simply hate it. You can substitute mayonnaise with Greek yoghurt, hummus, or nut butter.
Although mayo is an essential part of this dish, the absence of mayo will not ruin it. The good news is your Korean corn cheese will still taste amazing even without the creamy condiment!
You can prepare this gooey goodness on a stovetop other than baking it in the oven. The stovetop method requires the same ingredients and is as easy as cooking it in the oven.
Instead of baking, you'll need to sauté the seasoned corn over melted butter in a large pan for 2-3 minutes. Then, top it off with some mozzarella and cover the pan. Let it cook over low heat for 8 minutes or until all the mozzarella has melted.
How to make Korean corn cheese using a microwave
Making this appetizer is one of the easiest things to do, even for those with no experience in the kitchen! In fact, you don't even need an oven or a stove since you can make it using a microwave. The microwave is also the quickest and easiest method to make the snack. Simply mix the ingredients, add cheese on top, and heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Be sure to drain out all excess water. This will prevent the dish from being too wet at the bottom.
- You can prepare the Korean corn cheese dish in advance. Instead of baking it right away, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to two days. Once you mix the ingredients, cover the baking dish tightly and refrigerate until it is time to bake and serve.
- However, this tasty snack can last for up to two months when stored in the freezer instead. Therefore, you can prepare them in big batches and save them for later. Once they're ready to bake, make sure to add extra 10-15 minutes to the baking time. This ensures that the casserole is thoroughly cooked and the cheese has fully melted.
- Any oven-safe dish will do the job when baking, but using a skillet is highly recommended. Since it can retain heat longer, it can keep the cheese hot and melty while you enjoy the meal.
- You can even bake it in tiny individual portions by using ramekins.
Korean Corn Cheese Recipe | Oven Baked Method
- 1½ cups sweetcorn kernels water drained
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella
- 1½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Salt (for seasoning)
- Pepper (for seasoning)
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F or 200˚C.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients and stir together. Then, season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into a lightly-greased oven-safe dish and add shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 10 minutes until it is cooked through and the mozzarella has melted.
- Transfer it into a broiler and leave it to broil for 2 minutes to make it bubbly and golden on top.
- Add some other toppings if desired. Then, serve and enjoy your Korean corn cheese!
- Fresh corn is actually preferable. Replace the canned corn with 2 ears of fresh corn with its kernels removed and cobbs discarded.
- When using a microwave for cooking, simply heat the mixture for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Alternatively, cook the mixture over a stovetop for 2-3 minutes and cover until the mozzarella melts.
- You can reduce or omit the 1 ½ teaspoons of sugar when using canned corn.
- You can use suitable substitutes to replace mayonnaise.
Calories have been calculated using an online calculator. Nutritional information offered on Honest Food Talks is for general information purposes and are only rough estimations.
The beauty of this versatile dish is that you can add a variety of ingredients to it! One example is how Laughing Shrimp on Youtube prepared Korean corn cheese with Spam! He also added some paprika seasoning to enhance the flavour of the dish.
How did your cheesy and crunchy dish turn out? Share with us by tagging us on Instagram @honestfoodtalks!
I tried both versions - microwave and oven. Legit the baked version is so much better. The microwave one is decent but lacks the top charred cheese which adds so much more to the dish. Definitely try the oven version.
Tried doing the same but in a microwave - the top part didn't turn out as crispy but still tasted good. Maybe should use oven next time. Thanks for this recipe!