Try this easy to follow yuzu kosho chicken recipe at home now! I made this dish after my colleague made me fried chicken with the delicious Japanese condiment. I wanted to replicate it in my own style and here it is!
What is Yuzu Kosho?
Yuzu kosho is a Japanese chilli paste fermented with salt and yuzu, a fragrant citrus fruit. It is commonly used on yakitori meat skewers, in salad dressings and as a dip in Japanese and Korean cuisines.
If you’re looking for a new kick of spice for your taste buds, trust me when I say that this condiment is exactly what you are looking for!
What Does It Taste Like?
What you’re going to love about this spicy Japanese condiment is that it doesn’t give you the typical red, burning sensation you’re used to from other spicy food.
Yuzo kosho has a more subtle kick of spice that mixes the perfect amount of acidity from the citrus fruit with fresh chili, creating a different kind of spice! I dare you to try a teaspoon of it before adding it to your dish! I really love the fact that it can be used for fish and meat dishes and what I personally love to cook with it, chicken! Add this versatile condiment to your next dish!
Where can you buy it?
You can buy the tangy paste at your local Asian supermarket or online store. In London, you can try Japan Centre, Sous Chef and of course, Amazon.
- 5 teaspoons of yuzu kosho paste
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of white pepper
- 1 red chilli pepper
- ½ yellow sweet pepper
- Mixed herbs (parsley, oregano, thyme)
- Brown rice
Easy Yuzu Kosho Chicken Recipe
- Firstly, cook the chicken in a pot or pan for about 15 minutes. Feel free to use a whole chicken breast or dice it into pieces.
- While the chicken is browning, cook the brown rice for about 20-25 minutes
- Add water to be the same level of the chicken and add the yuzo kosho paste.
- Lastly, add the seasoning and make sure the paste is thickened too.
- Once everything is nicely cooked and ready, serve with brown rice on a plate.
And there you have it! A citrus sensation with a peppery taste to add to your chicken! I hope you all can enjoy using yuzu kosho to cook this and making many other delicious chilli dishes with it!
For another easy meal to cook at home, try this KFC japanese rice recipe.
What's Your Reaction?
Nyasha is a British-Caribbean who runs the spicy food website Nyam with Ny, for other enthusiasts like herself to discover more spicy cravings. She can be found either travelling and trying new tasty dishes or recreating favourites in the kitchen. When Nyasha is not obsessed with food, she enjoys writing, dining out and playing video games.