Honeydew milk tea is a perfect drink if you want to enjoy something refreshing to boost your energy. In addition, honeydew melon is rich in nutrients making it a great ingredient to create a more nutritious boba drink.
People love to have this fruity boba drink because of its naturally sweet flavour and fragrance. Moreover, the melon gives it the perfect look of natural green, which is eye-soothing. However, compared to other boba beverage recipes, this one is pretty easy to make.
All in all, the honeydew milk tea is sweet, creamy, and overall a hearty drink that you can make to have a refreshing start to your day! Read on to learn how to make this in just 15 minutes at home.
What is it?
This cooling beverage is made up of honey melon juice, plant-based milk and topped with cooked tapioca pearls.
Although many people consider it a boba drink, honeydew milk tea usually does not contain any tea. Therefore, this is an optional ingredient you can choose to include if you want. This is very similar to taro flavoured boba and ube boba.
The main highlight of this beverage is the honey melon. Also known as honey melon, this fruit is similar to cantaloupe, but it's sweeter and lighter. Moreover, it has a beautiful natural green colour and perfect lovely consistency, ideal as a refreshing drink. In some Asian countries, this boba drink is more commonly known as simply honeydew milk or melon milk.
What does it taste like?
The honeydew milk tea has a taste profile that is the unique flavour of the melon, which is sweet, fragrant and refreshing. So if you want to enjoy an energising, healthy yet sweet drink, then try out this boba drink as we promise that you will not regret it!
Is it healthy?
It can be healthy if you prepare it with only melon fruit and no added sugar. The calorie count for this melon boba drink is 361 calories. The calorie count may vary from how much sweetener you used or what ingredients you have. So, this is an approximate value of the average servings of the boba drink.
You will usually find that the recipe is prepared without using any tea. Hence, this makes everyday honeydew melon milk tea caffeine-free.
However, if you want to add the extra punch of caffeine to drink, you can brew tea (loose-leaf or bag) and add it to the boba drink. Again, we recommend using Jasmine green tea.
The main ingredient of the recipe is honeydew melon which is a small green oval-shaped sweet fruit. We have three ways to prepare honeydew milk tea.
- Blending fresh fruits
- Using instant powder
- Adding syrup.
They all have the exact taste of honey melon. However, nothing beats making it using fresh melons. You can quickly get this melon type from any fruit market or grocery store. You can also buy them online if you can't find them at any nearby store.
These pearls are also popularly known as boba pearls. It is made from tapioca starch which is used to make boba drinks. As per any other boba recipes, these tapioca pearls are famous for their topping, enhancing the bubble tea drinking experience.
However, do not worry, as you can quickly get them from online or grocery stores. If you want to, you can also make them at home from scratch!
Milk or Creamer
We have used dairy-free almond milk or creamer powder for this recipe. It fills the boba drink with a smooth and creamy texture. You can make homemade almond milk or get it from online or grocery stores.
We found that plant-based creamers go better with honeydew milk tea compared to regular full dairy ones. However, you can surely opt to use regular cow's milk too!
To make the drink sweeter and more delicious, you can add a sweetener of your choice. For this, we recommend using white sugar. This is because white sugar is a common item in any pantry and works well for our recipe.
However, if making the drink using fresh fruit, the juice is already sweet enough most of the time! So, you can opt to go sugar-free and make it healthier.
Using fresh fruit
You can easily find fresh melons in any season to make yummy honeydew milk tea to nourish your body. Fresh fruits are always better than syrup and powder as they are natural and more nutritious.
To make this boba drink, use fresh cubes of honey melon, almond milk, sugar, tapioca starch balls, ice cubes, and water. Then, follow the full recipe below.
Using Milk Tea Powder
If you cannot find any fresh melon fruit available in the fruit market, we recommend using milk tea powder instead. This is the method that many bubble tea shops in Seattle, Los Angeles, London and other big cities prepare it.
Using melon milk powder is probably one of the easiest ways to prepare this drink. All you need to do is mix the ingredients and enjoy the drink.
- 3 tablespoon of honeydew milk tea powder
- 2 tablespoon cooked boba pearls
- 2 tablespoon creamer
- 3 tablespoon of Sugar
- Cook boba pearls according to the packaging instructions and set them aside.
- Mix the honeydew milk tea powder in 250ml of hot water and stir until dissolved.
- Then add creamer to it and add sugar at your desired sweetness level. Stir the drink until dissolved.
- In a cup, add boba pearls, ice cubes, and your melon drink mix. Enjoy.
Using Melon Syrup
You will be surprised at how similar your boba drink will taste to the actual fruit version if you use honeydew syrup to make it.
Some Asian supermarkets may sell it in their shop. However, we recommend checking out online store options first. Specialised boba stores like BBT Club offer make-at-home boba kits that include honeydew milk tea syrup.
- 1 tablespoon Loose Leaf Jasmine Green Tea
- 40ml Honeydew Flavoured Syrup
- 1 tablespoon of Sugar
- ½ cup of Ice Cubes
- 2 tablespoon cooked Black Tapioca Pearl
- Prepare boba pearls in a separate bowl and set them aside.
- Brew the tea in a kettle and pour it into a cocktail shaker.
- Mix this with honeydew syrup and your sweetener. Add ice cubes and shake well for 1 minute.
- In a glass, add boba pearls and melon mix. Enjoy.
Honeydew Milk Tea Recipe | Honeydew Melon Bubble Tea
- ½ pc honeydew melon
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup ice
- 2 tablespoon black tapioca pearls
- almond whipped cream optional
- First, cook the tapioca pearls in a saucepan and set them aside for cooling.
- Then, cut the honeydew melon into large cubes and discard the seeds. Add the fruit cubes, almond milk, and sugar into a blender. Blend all the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the drink through a fine-mesh strainer and squeeze the liquid paste as much as possible into a bowl.
- Add the tapioca pearl and ice cubes to the bottom of a glass cup. Then pour the honeydew milk tea mix on top of it. Finally, put some almond whipped cream on top of your honeydew melon bubble tea.
- You can add tea leaves (any varieties) to your drink. For that, you need to brew the leaves in a kettle, let it cool, and mix it well with honeydew milk tea mix.
- You can always choose your desired sweetener and sweetness level for this drink. You can also avoid sweeteners if you want to cut calorie count for your diet.
Calories have been calculated using an online calculator. Nutritional information offered on Honest Food Talks is for general information purposes and are only rough estimations.
This melon boba drink is trendy in Asia. In many cases, the drink is served without the boba pearl topping. Here's a minimalistic video recipe by 한세 HANSE Youtube channel which elegantly presents the method of preparing this beverage.
Show us how did your homemade boba drink turn out. Tag us on Instagram @honestfoodtalks and share with us your freshening fruit boba.
Do you love fruity boba drink recipes? Then, check out our winter melon base boba tea recipe next!