Air fryer spring rolls are crispy finger foods that people often order from Chinese restaurants. If you want to fry up some of these yourself, try this recipe that we have tested!
What is spring rolls made of?
Air fryer spring rolls are a deep-fried savoury mix of carrot, bean sprouts and cabbage wrapped in a paper-thin wrapper. Similar to the Chinese version, Japanese spring rolls are also fried and have a similar filling. The wrapper is edible and consists of flour and water.
It is a crispy treat that is perfect when you do not want to eat rice or noodles. You get a satisfying bite when you eat a hot snack with ingredients that you like.
Each typical serving of this popular Chinese takeaway has about 100 to 200 calories.
However, it mainly depends on the type and amount of ingredients added to make the filling of the rolls. Homemade versions tend to have a higher calorie count as home cooks are usually generous with their fillings!
Using an air fryer
There are many benefits of making air fryer spring rolls! Firstly, you don’t have to use oil as the modern frying device uses the surrounding heat to fry the food. If you are health-conscious, then air frying is a better option.
Secondly, you can get your meal cooked in just ten minutes. Finally, you do not have to clean up after cooking since there is no oil residue.
You can use any ingredients for the stuffing inside air fryer spring rolls, but you need spring roll wrappers for the wrapping. You will also need cornstarch. To make air fryer chicken spring rolls, you will need about 500 grams of ground chicken. Secondly, mix that with fresh ginger, garlic, carrots and cabbage. Next, add fish sauce, soy sauce, rice wine, and black pepper for seasoning. Finally, get siracha sauce for a spicy dip!
Skip the chicken if you want to make your homemade Chinese dish vegan. Instead, use more vegetables such as green bell pepper and onions for the stuffing. You can also add mushrooms and tofu. For seasoning, try rice wine or lime juice. The wrappers are made of flour, water and salt, so they are usually vegan. You can get all these ingredients at any Asian supermarket.
How to make air fryer spring rolls
You can make these air fryer spring rolls in a few easy steps.
- First fry your vegetables over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes until it is fragrant.
- Stir your preferred seasoning into the mix.
- Now, it’s time to stuff each spring roll wrapper.
- Place the stuffed rolls into the fryer and cook for about five minutes, turning them in between to ensure they are evenly browned.
Frozen spring rolls
Cooking frozen vegetable spring rolls in an air fryer is a good idea if you want to pre-cook and save time. You do not need to defrost your frozen rolls if you use the air fryer.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) for five minutes.
- Then add your frozen spring rolls and fry for about 4 minutes.
- Turn them over and fry for another four minutes before serving.
Check out our handy guide if you need to know how to use an air fryer first.
To make your air fryer spring rolls successful, we recommend that you cook in batches. If you crowd them together, they will turn soggy. Instead, position them side by side in one layer.
The next tip is to adjust the cooking time. Try five minutes first, and check if they are thoroughly warm.
Ideally, it should be about 300-400 Fahrenheit or around 200 degrees Celsius for best results.
How to Store
We recommend eating this popular Chinese takeaway fresh, but you can wrap them tightly with foil and pack them into an airtight box for maximum freshness. Pat your dish dry first so that moisture does not make the food soggy. Then, reheat them in the fryer when you are ready to consume.
Air Fryer Spring Rolls Recipe
- 2 tablespoon Sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon Minced garlic
- 2 cups Shredded cabbage
- 1 cup Matchstick carrots
- 1 cup Mushrooms
- 1 Celery stalk
- 1 teaspoon Fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Corn starch
- 1 egg
- 8 square spring roll wrappers
- Cooking spray
- Get the air fryer ready by heating it to 400 Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- Heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat and cook garlic for 30 seconds. Add all the vegetables and cook until they are tender.
- Remove the skillet from the heat to stir lime juice, fish sauce, and soy sauce into the mix.
- Fill each wrapper with the mix, filling just below the centre of the wrapper. Fold over the filling and tuck in all sides tightly.
- Whisk the egg and add cornstarch to create a thick paste. Use this paste to seal all your wrappers.
- Place your spring rolls into the air fryer, working in batches if you need. Cook for about 5 minutes and check. Turn over. Once evenly brown, you are ready to serve your air fryer spring rolls!
Calories have been calculated using an online calculator. Nutritional information offered on Honest Food Talks is for general information purposes and are only rough estimations.
Would you like a vegan recipe? Vegan Recipes on Youtube has an amazing short video that explains the whole recipe in just 30 seconds!
We hope you like this simple, fuss-free recipe. Check out our site for more of these air fryer recipes and some of the best frozen foods for air fryers. Or give us a follow over on Instagram @honestfoodtalks!
Leave a Reply