A strawberry matcha latte is a delicious blend common at many trendy and artisanal cafes in the summer. But what if we told you that you could make this drink at home all year round? For less money and fewer calories - oh yes.
Save yourself the trip to Starbucks and walk to your kitchen.
Thankfully, we have an easy-to-make and healthy recipe that saves your calorie count and tastes delicious.
We spent a few weeks in the kitchen with friends who are avid cafegoers to get the right aesthetic and taste. There was a lot of trial and error to get those colourful layers right and the perfect level of sweetness. But, we got their approval in the end.
Here's the best strawberry matcha latte recipe to ensure you get the fresh and healthy taste you deserve from your DIY projects. Your friends will be impressed.
What is Strawberry Matcha Latte Made Of?
This smooth and tasty drink is made of pureed strawberries, sweetener, milk, and matcha powder mixed with hot water. A typical iced recipe for this trending beverage adds these ingredients in layers.
Similar to the Korean strawberry milk recipe, this beverage includes putting the strawberries and sweeteners on the bottom layer first. Then, pour the milk into the middle, and finally, the powder on the top later. We recommend using the milk type that best suits your taste.
What Does Strawberry Matcha Latte Taste Like?
This easy-to-make beverage tastes rather fruity with rich green tea flavours that come from the powder. The fruit adds its unique flavour, while the milk you use thins it out slightly and creates a unique blend.
The milk you choose will also affect the flavour. For example, almond milk gives your recipe a slightly nutty flavour. Meanwhile, traditional cow's milk gives it a touch of dairy aftertaste.
The calories in this fruity tea latte should be no more than 100 to 105 per eight-ounce drink. That's much lower than the ones sold at Starbucks or Dunkin Doughnuts, which may have over 200 calories or more.
The secret to improving our iced matcha beverage nutrition was in our choice of sweetener. This sweetener has no calories compared to the many you find in other recipes.
Strawberry Matcha Latte Ingredients
Our recipe for this flavourful blend includes these ingredients: strawberries, sweeteners, matcha, and milk. Here are the measurements of each of these items:
- Fresh and de-stemmed strawberries: the riper your strawberries, the sweeter the drink.
- Sweetener: One teaspoon of no-calorie monk fruit erythritol blend works great. Otherwise, honey, agave, and maple syrup are also good but add calories.
- Matcha powder: ceremonial or culinary grades are effective, though we prefer ceremonial for its quality.
- Milk: we choose almond milk for our drink because it gives the flavour a little kick.
Our recipe uses no sugar for your deliciously fruity drink, meaning that your puree is as low-calorie as possible. Some people may also use dried strawberries or jam, though we think raw strawberries are the better choice.
Vegans interested in this incredibly popular beverage recipe can simply use milk replacement products, such as rice, oat or coconut milk. We like using almond however due to its natural subtle sweetness.
Don't forget that you can share or save the recipe on Pinterest and follow us at @honestfoodtalks to learn more about great drink recipes like this!
How to Make Strawberry Matcha Latte
Knowing how to make this fun drink recipe is fairly simple. Though the steps below require some specialised kitchen equipment, they're usually something just about anybody can do. These steps include:
- Pureeing your frozen or fresh strawberries in a food processor.
- Mixing the powder with hot water in a separate bowl.
- Pouring the milk over the back of the spoon slowly into the bowl.
- Adding the powder and water to the top before serving the drink.
Following these steps creates the layered effect you want in this trendy beverage without mixing the layers. You can use this approach when making any drink of this type. For example, try it when producing a blueberry matcha latte.
Strawberry Matcha Latte Recipe
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- ½ teaspoon Matcha green tea powder
- ½ cup Water
- ½ cup almond milk
- Sweetener optional
- Puree the strawberries in a food processor, or using a fork.
- Mix the water and the green tea powder with your whisk.
- Add strawberries to the bottom of the drinking glass.
- Pour the almond milk over a spoon to create the layered effect. Finally, add the powder and water mix on top to complete your Strawberry Matcha Latte!
- You may replace fresh strawberries with frozen or dried varieties or fruity jam to get a slightly unique flavour. Jam and dried strawberries typically produce a sweeter drink. It also produces a drink with more residual sugar and a higher calorie count.
- You may also replace the almond milk with any variety you prefer. Note that some milk types, such as whole dairy milk, will increase the calorie count.
- If you want to add a sweetener, we recommend mixing it in the puree.
Calories have been calculated using an online calculator. Nutritional information offered on Honest Food Talks is for general information purposes and are only rough estimations.
Strawberry Matcha Latte Boba
One thing you might want to try with this recipe is adding some boba pearls to add a little sweetness to the drink. Boba balls include brown sugar and complex carbs, which make this variation slightly different. Like a homemade Starbucks boba, you can use our recipe but add a few boba balls into the drink after it is finished to add a little more flavour.
We strongly recommend mixing it with Matcha milk tea, as it adds even a little more flavour to it. This variation is similar to the Strawberry matcha latte from the Gong Cha variety or the ones that Boba Guys make. Other variations that you may enjoy creating include:
- Strawberry foam matcha latte
- Strawberry milk matcha latte
- Strawberry jam matcha latte
Follow Us to Learn More!
If you enjoyed making this recipe and want to learn more, please follow Honest Food Talks on Instagram @honestfoodtalks. Share this article with your friends to create unforgettable and healthy drinks.
You can also let us know what you think and give us suggestions at email@example.com that may help improve our recipe!